R 'n' R: Rants & Raves 1521

Sunday, July 03, 2005

gyrating his way to applause. ho-hum.

Why is it that when someone does or says something lewd, obscene or offensive in any other way, some people express delight or even admiration? The positive reaction ranges from a subtle smile, a quiet nod, unbridled laughter, to wild applause with fist-in-the-air approval. Why?

What's deserving of appreciation in a vocalist that makes like a macho dancer in mid-song? What's to gush about when he grabs his crotch or teases the crowd by pretending to insert his hand down his pants? He's not even...uh, cute -- though cuteness has no bearing on the nature of an act such as what I'm talking about here. (The "he's not even...uh, cute" is my flimsy attempt to momentarily joke about a matter that -- if you really think about it -- is no joking matter)

I "accidentally" watched part of a concert last Friday, a gathering of Pinoy bands to welcome the college freshmen (admission was free for the freshies). I, for one, appreciate the onslaught of Pinoy artists into the local music scene in the past few years and the prevalence of Tagalog songs of late. But seeing singers execute sexually charged moves and bask in the screams of delight from the audience is some kind of a letdown for me. Why? Probably because in front of me, I saw the future of the youth -- I must say, "the future's so bright I gotta wear shades" doesn't apply. I saw the, uh...hope of our nation -- screaming and jumping, with arms extended toward the macho dan...um, singer onstage, reminding me of the adulation that the Beatles generated from hordes of female fans during their early moptop days. This is not to imply that this vocalist displayed artistic talent. And believe me, his looks are nowhere near John, Paul, George or Ringo when it comes to eye-candy quality.

Okay, Elvis and his pelvis raised more than a few eyebrows in the 1950s; John Lennon generated hoots with his toilet-seat-around-his-neck brand of antics; Madonna ushered in a downfall of sorts in the music industry (need I explain?) and in the process became the icon to ape for many girls worldwide. There's the Britney-Christina-Ashanti mold; there's Howard Stern, the foul-mouthed, brashly irreverent radio personality who used to enjoy a following, too (probably still does). The list goes on but there's no need to go by it one by one.

This seeming adulation, among the youth, of individuals who have a propensity for the distasteful is both amusing and disenchanting. Some may say that the "adulation" stops with the concert's end, or that the fella forgets about the songs and the artists when the remote control switches off MTV, or that those are just rock stars or alternative artists who have absolutely nothing to do with what and how young minds think. Uh, yeah.

I'm through ranting. I can't even remember the final premise I was supposed to write here. All I know is that Pinoy music and Pinoy talent are not reflected in that singer I unfortunately got to watch.

I also know that the people whom a young person admires -- whether up close or from afar -- don't remain mere slum-book-favorite names for that person, detached from the things he considers important, the values he chooses to live by, and the causes (if any) he will eventually advocate.

Who ever said that it's only about music and nothing more?

3 Comments:

  • For some reason, I really can't understand it too Sunny. Generation gap ba ito? How come they can appreciate it and we jusssst can't?

    Does this mean that propriety is really going to the dumps?

    By Blogger AsianSmiles, at 3:32 AM  

  • I think the "generation gap" angle is true only in certain cases because the positive response that such distasteful humor is not confined to the youth. May mga matatandang naaaliw sa ganyan.

    I asked one of my friends the same question about why some people find antics like the singer's funny, and he had a theory that's a bit similar to mine: such demonstrations of indecency or blatant disregard for propriety satisfies the rebellious streak that is innate in each person.

    I tend to rebel in many ways, too, but the crucial factor is WHAT we rebel against.

    Is propriety going to the dumps? Not if we don't let it. =)

    By Blogger sunnyday, at 8:26 PM  

  • kayo naman..when tom jones was gyrating to fame, some women were throwing undies and hotel keys at his foot.

    I found madonna sexy while crawling on her like a virgin video but gaped when april boy regino bare his nipples to the shouting crowd.

    could it be da sayn of tayms?

    By Blogger DearestWarrior, at 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


FreeGraphicsFrom.GIF (2678 bytes)

Get Listed @ Philippine Sites - http://www.philippine-sites.tk/

A Pinoy Blogger