R 'n' R: Rants & Raves 1521

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

taxi drivers' take on image-building

"Huwag naman kayong magpaypay. Pinagtatawanan kami niyan eh (Don't fan yourself. We're laughed at because of that)."

That's what the taxi driver said when I pulled out my abaca fan and started getting some wind on my face despite the inefficient airconditioning system in his vehicle.

Puzzled and somewhat taken aback, I asked, "Ha? Nino? (Huh? By whom?)"

"Mga ibang drayber. Nag-aaway kami dahil diyan eh (Other drivers. We fight because of that)," was the reply, given with hesitant but obvious irritation.

For some background information, here's what happened prior to that exchange:

I flagged down the taxi near our place and got in. About three minutes later, I noticed that both airconditioner vents near the tape deck were directed at him, explaining the temperature in the back seat.

"Manong, paki-adjust ho ng vent. Kahit yung isa lang (Please adjust the vent, even just one of them)."

His hand went over the vents and fiddled with them a little. No change in the air's direction, though. I guess he'd rather not share the air...or maybe he's just not aware of details pertaining to vent direction, I told myself quietly.

I move toward the middle of the seat so as to hopefully get a share of the cool air. No luck. This is silly, I think. So, I pull my bag open and slip out my good ol' trusty fan. Be the change you want to see in the world, I reminded myself about the proverb. Okay, I'll change the temperature in my world right here in the backseat, on my own.

Then the "no fans allowed" proclamation was made. So much for doing my part to make the world a better place.

"Kung i-a-adjust ho niyo yung vent eh hindi na ho mainit dito at hindi na ako kailangang magpaypay," I retorted with a smile that, in my heart, was anything but sweet.

He made some adjustments again while I continued my fan-wielding, albeit keeping my fan below window level. Part of me sympathized with anyone who had to endure ridicule from others, but I was not about to condone some prohibition motivated by a vain concern for image. The aircon in your taxi sucks, and I'm not going to suffer for it if I can help it, was my silent protest accompanied by eye-rolling.

When he uttered the "pinagtatawanan kami dahil diyan" line with noticeably ill sentiments, I wanted to shove him to the nearest pile of Inquirer issues that came out the past week (if there was only one nearby) and point out that "hello! nag-ra-rally na ang mga tao araw-araw, kayo image-image pa ang iniisip niyo..." Instead, I said reassuringly, "Huwag niyo nang pansinin 'yon."

It was such a silly concern...so silly that I couldn't think of anything else to say.

"Mainit ba talaga?" he queried a few moments later.

"Oo."

He then switched the aircon setting to "high" -- apparently from "medium." It made little difference, though, for my stop was coming up. I got off the fan-unfriendly taxi with relief, and not without learning something new so early in the day -- cab drivers feel a prick to their ego when mocked by fellow drivers about seemingly dissatisfied -- temperature-wise -- passengers.
Interesting... another insight into Pinoy professional driver psychology.

Till now, I still don't know how I could've dealt with the situation more effectively...

2 Comments:

  • How to deal with that? Take it as a joke. "Eh Mama, ipaayos nyo kaya 'tong taxi nyo bago kayo bumiyahe? Sa palagay nyo ba image nyo lang nagsa-suffer everytime I have to pull my Lola's abaniko from my Louis Vuitton bag?!?!"

    cheers!
    pinoy_infidel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 PM  

  • Hehe! I wish I could've dealt with it with such humor. Unfortunately, I was too irritated for humor to even occur to me. Next time it happens, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. But I hope it NEVER happens again. =)

    By Blogger sunnyday, at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


FreeGraphicsFrom.GIF (2678 bytes)

Get Listed @ Philippine Sites - http://www.philippine-sites.tk/

A Pinoy Blogger