R 'n' R: Rants & Raves 1521

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

the red & white suit and the swaddling clothes

It's too early for Christmas carols!!

That's all that I really want to say.


P.S. Last weekend I was at the mall and what should be playing over speakers but "Deck the Halls" and the like? There's something disconcerting about looking at merchandise in the bookstore while Christmas songs are in the background. And they're not serene tunes like "Silent Night" or "O Holy Night" -- songs that, besides flowing with tranquility, tell of the reason for the season, which I find quite comforting. It's only a matter of time before "you'd better watch out, you'd better not cry...!" belted out by the Jackson 5 is piped in at stores all over, wrapping the mall with that hectic atmosphere that seems to echo "buy! buy! buy!" and sending mall-roamers into a hard-to-control shopping mood.

It's really too early for Christmas carols. Just about the only thing I love about the premature Christmas mood is the sight of those beautiful and wonderfully embellished trees on Shangri-la mall's 4th level, under the escalator. O Tannenbaum...

4 Comments:

  • My friend has a personal policy about listening to Christmas carols. She would only start doing so on the second week of December. I smiled when I first heard her say that. But I guess after giving it some thought, I found its simple logic. If one is not careful, he could fall in the trap of being desensitized to the all-too-consumerist lyrics of modern Christmas jingles at the start of the "...-ber" months (i.e. as early as September). Besides, isn't it queer to hear Christmas carols three months ahead of schedule. It removes, if not dampen, the real reason we celebrate Christmas. There ought to be a better of putting back in public places the long-lost Christian tradition.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 AM  

  • My sentiments exactly! I envy your friend for sticking to that policy she has. I suppose she doesn't go to the malls that often -- which is something I could try so as to avoid aimless window-shopping AND exposure to more Christmas songs this early. Btw, today I heard some Christmas carol sung by Alvin and the Chipmunks, but the speakers were too far so I couldn't make it out (fortunately).

    Thanks for dropping by, anonymous =)

    By Blogger sunnyday, at 9:35 PM  

  • I miss it.

    I used to enjoy the carols tuwing September 1. Some even played it right after 12MN. Unahan pa sila. (I was torn between RX and MB radio stations then, although there were years when MB played September Morn instead).

    It's the kind of feeling and attitude that only filipinos have. Magaling sa merry making. Madaling makakita ng ikasisiya, kahit walang pera, kahit sa tugtog lang, masaya na. Idea pa lang ng pasko, masaya na din. :)

    Although I agree with you that we should always remember the real reason for celebrating Christmas. For some people, early celebration helps, sa iba naman, talagang hindi rin nagugustuhan ng maagang pagsasaya. I guess kung wala talaga sa puso ang diwa, kahit 6 na buwan sigurong patugtugin ang carols, lalampasan pa din sya ng pasko (lol). So like anonymous said, just be careful.

    meri krismas na din in advance.

    :)

    By Blogger AsianSmiles, at 8:56 AM  

  • Di bale. When the season of Advent starts, I'll post some things here to make the significance of Christmas more pronounced -- with or without the "Deck the Halls" etc. =)

    You're right, AsianSmiles.Basta merry-making, Pinoys are up there, even when money is lacking. I think it's part of our survival techniques =) But you know, I wish more people realize and take to heart that to celebrate the season, budget-unfriendly spending is NOT a prerequisite. That is merely putting undue pressure on ourselves. =)

    By Blogger sunnyday, at 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


FreeGraphicsFrom.GIF (2678 bytes)

Get Listed @ Philippine Sites - http://www.philippine-sites.tk/

A Pinoy Blogger