R 'n' R: Rants & Raves 1521

Saturday, September 24, 2005

petal attraction


As a child, I often saw moths "parked" on the walls outside our house, near the shrubs and potted plants. You know -- those big ones with big "prints" on their wings. I remember these tinted with brick red, brown and black hues, and I would stare up at them, fascinated that they could just stay there for hours as if plastered on the wall, not even moving.

I don't see any of those creatures anymore. Have they simply chosen other localities? Did Manila's fumes wipe out their entire population? There's a butterfly farm somewhere in Quezon City and it sure is a pity if that's the last place left for sightings of those winged creatures.

That butterfly in the picture is a "foreigner," photographed as it was going about its floral rounds among the foliage in a Canadian town. Thanks a lot to Quietfish -- she with the delightful photos and interesting reads on her blog -- for letting me put this pic on my blog after seeing it on hers.

The snapshot instantly reminded me of those years when chasing dragonflies was part of any regular school day at the playground (at least for me and my friends). It was a test of stealth, concentration and muscle control (particularly of the thumb and index finger)...then would come the delight of being able to catch one by the tail ...then the momentary struggle to switch my hold to its flapping wings ...then the few seconds of gazing at its bulging eyes ...then finally letting it loose again.

Where have all the dragonflies gone? Do they still roam and buzz about in vacant fields and playgrounds in the countryside? And do kids still play with beetles? Is the beetle even the same as the salagubang?

2 Comments:

  • I asked "manang" about "salagubang." She said it's the same as the beetle. But I would have to research more on that. I remember there's a song about "salagubang" :)
    I'll sing it for you over the phone. LOL
    winks

    By Blogger lithe, at 9:42 PM  

  • oic! Buti pa si manang alam ang translations ng words. sige when you've doublechecked, let us know ha!

    and i'll be waiting for that song, haha.

    By Blogger sunnyday, at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


FreeGraphicsFrom.GIF (2678 bytes)

Get Listed @ Philippine Sites - http://www.philippine-sites.tk/

A Pinoy Blogger