R 'n' R: Rants & Raves 1521

Thursday, August 18, 2005

your ideas on this perplexing matter are wanted

There are times when I'm brimming with ideas as to what to put in this blog. When I'm away from the pc, I come across something...or some thought pops into my head...and I say, "Oh, that would be great for rantsnraves!" Then later on as I log onto blogger, I go, "What was that thing I was going to tackle here??"

Here is one of those perplexing questions that had been nagging me for some time now which I had planned to post here, but which ended up in the "ano na nga ba yung isusulat ko sa blog ko?!" assortment:

Bakit ang lakas magpatugtog ng radyo ng mga drivers, lalo na habang naglilinis ng kotse?

From time to time, I have to contend with this -- our next-door neighbor has an open garage, and the driver has a penchant for leaving the utility vehicle's windows open, jukebox music streaming from inside. I wouldn't say that the stereo system is of the sophisticated kind, and I do hear the driver making like Aiza Seguerra or Ogie Alcasid at the top of his lungs once in a while.

Then there's our neighbor across the street, whose driver gives the family SUV a good washing outside their gate at least twice a week -- accompanying the sunrise. He, too, relishes the sound of ditties keeping him company as he works the chamois (sometimes ballads, sometimes techno). And his is a basag broadcast of the day's playlist at a volume level that enables me to listen from our dining table.

Then at the street corner nearest our house is a queue of tricycles, and quite a few of them sport boomboxes. If your tricycle had a boombox, would you keep it a secret? Noooo. You'd let everyone be aware just what your speaker can do!

I do know that in most exclusive villages, policies regarding music broadcasts from any resident are strictly enforced. Ours is not an exclusive village; still, I believe that policy or no policy, a person ought to consider the peace and quiet that others relish and which he may be shattering before he pumps up the volume. But then, people are different so I'll let the "ought/should" angle of the matter go for now.

My question is, what's the reason behind these people's preference for playing music so loudly when a) the sound is basag, and, b) they're not in a karaoke place?

Is it out of generosity ("para naman marinig ng mga iba, yung mga walang radyo")? Are they KSP ("lakasan ko nga para mapansin ako")? Is it an expression of rebelliousness ("pag mas malakas, mas maraming maiistorbo, hehe")?

Your theories please. =)

Thanks!

4 Comments:

  • Where I live, I do not encounter such "noise maker", until recently from my neighbor Danny.

    I do not notice it as well among my sons while they are washing the cars.

    My theory: Washing your own car is a boring job. I must admit that it is exciting at the early stage, especially if that is your first car OR it is stil within the three months being out of the showroom. But once it gets past the "first" or "brand new" limit, washing a car is a chore, and therefore one needs distractions to get him through the ordeal.

    Most private residential areas do not tolerate unnecessary noises. Where I live, you can alert the administration once you detect some noise-makers. And the guards are present in 2 minute warning.

    There is even a rule that no one is allowed any construction work during Sundays and holidays. Of course, the rationale is that most residents need silence during those breaks.

    But Danny clean his family van with gusto while listening to the local commentary program one usually favored by taxi drivers.

    I always join him in a small chat while he does his cleaning.

    eci..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 AM  

  • Ahm..

    I think they just want to hear the music as much as I could and wherever they go. Like if they are inside the house, they want to hear it wherever they go, kahit sa bathroom.

    Also, some people enjoy the beat. Yung tipong dumadagundong, specially the teeners. They get a particular high when they can actually 'feel' the music instead of just hearing it. Same goes to car drivers.

    I also agree with ECI - pag boring ang ginagawa, sometimes we also enjoy it if we could humm with the song being played, at pasayaw sayaw pa paminsan (lalo na pag naghuhugas ng plato - lols)

    Yun nga lang, talagang istorbo talaga minsan kapag sobrang lakas ng tugtog.

    By Blogger AsianSmiles, at 2:22 PM  

  • he he.. sori.

    I think they just want to hear the music as much as 'they' could

    By Blogger AsianSmiles, at 2:23 PM  

  • Hmm...now that I think about it, the times that I wash dishes are accompanied by John Mayer's songs. The music makes the dishwashing more "pleasant" -- not to mention, it seems to go faster, hehe. So thanks for pointing out the chore angle, anonymous. But I remember my dad telling me emphatically that using the car stereo system without the engine running uses up the battery; hence, I rarely did that. And cleaning the car (when I used to do it regularly) meant no music from the car system. Now I realize why the blaring-music-while-cleaning-the car thingie seems alien to me...

    asiansmiles, tama. DUMADAGUNDONG. kung minsan naman puro treble, walang bass, ang tinis ng tunog (mas lalong di ko maintindihan kung bakit nila ginagawa).

    oo, istorbo talaga. naalala ko bigla, a few years back, to "retort" to our next-door neighbors' blaring music (sobrang lakas talaga, no exaggeration), I played the "The Mask of Zorro" soundtrack on our stereo and trained the speakers (which were right beside the window) toward their direction. Napaka-clear; pati SFX ng swordplay rinig na rinig. I don't know what I accomplished but it sure made me feel good! =)

    By Blogger sunnyday, at 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


FreeGraphicsFrom.GIF (2678 bytes)

Get Listed @ Philippine Sites - http://www.philippine-sites.tk/

A Pinoy Blogger